Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's In a Name?

Have you ever heard that phrase before? Leading up to and after the wedding I've had tons of people ask me if I was changing my last name, was I going to hypenate it or just drop it all together. Call me traditional but I never considered keeping my maiden name. I figured that taking on your husband's name solidafies the marriage. I am not saying there is anything wrong with keeping your maiden name but for me it wasn't even an option to consider.


I will say that changing your name is a process but not necessarily a hard one. Nowadays there are sites such as MissNowMrs.com that can help make this process as easy as possible.Myself on the other hand gets a kick out of doing simple things like this and it just adds to my collections of memories. I was so excited today to open the mail to find that our Certified Marriage License had arrived. Many offices require that you have the certified license and not just the one you signed the day of the wedding (depending on the state). Now the name changing process is underway as I am headed to the Social Security office tomorrow!
So leave a comment on what you plan to do when it comes to the Last Name; Keep your maiden or change it!

2 comments:

  1. I am planning on changing my last name. Like you, I never considered NOT changing it...but I'm definitely a little sad about it. My maiden name is somewhat unique...and my married name will be plain ol' Jones. *sigh*

    P.S. I'm glad I found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get married I will change my name. My dad told me when I was younger that when I got married I was to give up his name, lol!

    ReplyDelete